Chapter 8.4-8.6 Test Outline
From Huben's Wiki
Direct, Joint, and Inverse Variation
- Recognize the variables, constants, and types of variation
- Remember the formulas
- Use the formulas to solve between two sets of values
- Find types of variation within a formula
Classes of Functions
- 9 classes: constant, direct variation, identity, greatest integer, absolute value, quadratic, square root, rational, inverse variation.
- Recognize them from:
- Be able to answer which are:
- special cases of one another
Solving Rational Equations and Inequalities
- Change them to ordinary equations by multiplying with the LCD
- Check solutions! Some might be extraneous.
- Word problems:
- Identify the variable you will solve for
- Write equations using that variable, and solve them.
- Find cases where values are undefined. These are excluded values.
- Solve the related equation.
- Intervals of the number line are divided by excluded values and solutions. Test each region.