Chicken Barleycorn Soup
Slightly modified from Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook.
- 6-8 cups of homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 t. dried basil
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 c. barley
Bring stock to a boil, add barley, basil and thyme. Lower to a simmer, cover soup and cook for 45 minutes.
- 4 cups corn kernels (two 10 oz. packages frozen kernels, thawed)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
Puree in a blender (or food processor) 1 bag of corn with 1 cup of stock.
When barley is tender, add the corn puree, corn kernels, carrot snd celery to the pot. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken meat, shredded
- 1/2 c. sliced scallions (2-3 scallions)
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. Tabsco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 T. finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Add chicken pieces, scallions, cumin, parsley, and hot sauce to the post and simmer for five more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional fresh parsley.