Chinese Brown Sauce
- 1.5 cup chicken or vegetable stock, heated to boiling
- 1 scallion chopped fine
- 1-2 tsp minced ginger
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 2.5 tb sugar
- 3 tb soy sauce (1400 mg salt)
- 2 tb wine
- 2 tb oyster sauce (800 mg salt)
- 1 tb hoisin sauce (400 mg salt)
- 1 tb Pearl River Dark Mushroom Flavored Soy Sauce (1200 mg salt)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- dash of white pepper
Combine in order (roughly), and allow to cool for an hour.
Strain. Makes 2.25 cups, just right for 3 dishes that need .75 cups.
Thicken with 1 tb corn starch when adding to a dish.
Roughly 200% of daily salt, 66% in .75 cups. That's rather salty: experiment with leaving out the 3 tb soy sauce or the 1 tb dark soy. That will reduce it to 40% in .75 cups.