Chinese Eggplant with Garlic Sauce
This one stright from the original Ominvore's Cookbook. Except I double the sauce because sauce is what makes the food for me.
- 2 small Chinese long eggplant (about 10 oz.) chopped to bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
Place in a bowl, cover with water, and weigh down with a put lid or small plate for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (*see footnote 3)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Combine the above ingredients into a sauce mix.
Sprinkle the dry eggplant with:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
and mix until evenly coated.
Fry eggplant 4 minutes per side on high heat in:
- 2 tablespoons oil
Remove from pan, then fry:
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 6 chopped cloves of garlic
until fragrant. Add the eggplant back, add the sauce mix, and cook until sauce thickens.
Fast, easy, and perfect.