Cuban Black Bean Soup
Modified from: Mrs. Garcia's Black Bean Soup.
- 1 pound dried black beans
Soak overnight in plenty of cold water. Rinse thoroughly, place in pot with at least an inch of cold water.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ham bone or smoked ham hock
- 1/2 cup olive oil (I omit this to reduce the fat content: it can be added individually at serving time.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Add these to the beans, boil quickly, then simmer covered for 4 or 5 hours. You may need to add more water: check every hour.
When the beans are quite soft and thickening the soup, pull out the pork, remove the bones, and put the chopped meat back in.
- 1/3 cup white or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
Stir these in and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Chopped red pepper (I add this and heat through before serving.)
- Sour cream
- Chopped raw onion
Serve over rice, and accompany with fried sweet plantains.