Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
Melt in sauce pan, then stir in:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black (or white pepper)
Make roux by cooking a minute, then add gradually:
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or light cream)
Stir at low heat for 5 minutes to make Bechamel sauce. Then add:
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
Stir until blended.
I like to stir in:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
This adds to the sharpness.
More milk can be added to thin it for mixing with 1 lb macaroni.
Additional seasonings are garlic and paprika (or other mild pepper.)