New England Fish Chowder
Modified from New England Fish Chowder.
This version has very little salt and very little starch so that it has a low glycemic index.
- 2 tb butter
- 3 medium onions, chopped
Saute the onions until they are tender. Add:
- lots of black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups of broth (any sort -- I used turkey.)
- 1/2 tsp salt (depending on saltiness of the broth.)
- 5 medium potatoes diced (I substituted potato, celeriac, turnip, parsnip and carrot in equal quantities.)
- 1 to 2 lbs of haddock in small chunks (placed on the surface.)
Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
Heat in a separate pan until it starts to simmer (do not scorch!)
- 3-4 cups milk
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- another 2 tb butter
Combine all and serve.