This is a low-salt, low-fat modification of: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/230998
- 3 cups Chinese or Japanese short-grain sticky ("sweet") rice
Cover rice with cold water by 1 inch in a large bowl and soak at least 2 hours. Drain in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water.
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
Soak mushrooms in warm water 30 minutes, then drain, squeezing excess liquid back into bowl, and discard liquid. Rinse mushrooms to remove any grit, then discard stems and coarsely chop caps.
- 1/4 lb ground pork (was 2 Chinese sausages)
Stir fry pork over high heat for one minute. Remove and drain.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion (white and pale green parts only; from 1 bunch)
Heat a wok over high heat until just smoking. Add peanut oil and heat, swirling in wok, until just smoking. Add ginger and scallion and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and pork and stir-fry 1 minute.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (was 1/3 cup Sherry)
- 3 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons low salt Thai/Indonesian oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper and remove from heat. Add drained rice and stir to coat.
- 2.5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Transfer mixture to a 4-to-6 quart heavy pot and add broth (broth will not completely cover rice). Bring to a simmer, stir once, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 25 minutes more, then remove from heat. Stir from bottom to distribute ingredients and let stand, covered, 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 side-dish servings.