I'm about to try this one. I chose it because it roasts the vegetables to get that caramelized flavor, it's salt-free and because it doesn't call for exotic ingredients. Unfortunately, it calls for a lengthy reduction.
Originally from: World's Greatest Vegetable Broth.
- 1 pound celery
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored
- 1 pound green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound turnips, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Chop and toss all together to coat in the oil, then roast at 450 degrees (stirring every 15 minutes) until all vegetable start to brown and onions caramelize. > 1 hour.
Throw the vegetables and the following into a large stock pot:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 gallon water
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
Bring to a boil, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Strain through a colander.
The strained veggies are very good too!