AP Computer Science 2012-13
- Assignments will be posted below.
- Our Syllabus (until I rewrite it to our needs.)
- Our textbook. and its Powerpoint slides.
- Chapter 1 of the book is ONLY online.
- Download the Student Disk to your own computer and/or H drive.
- Download the Current Stable Release of the DrJava programming environment to your own computer.
- Download the Current Stable Release of the jGRASP (1.8.8_21 or higher) programming environment to your own computer.
A two-day camp: Boston (MIT)—July 24–25, 2013.
Click the link above. The APPLY NOW! button takes you to the very short application form. There is no price listed, so it may be free, and you receive a tablet upon completion.
- AP Computer Science A Course Description -- has 22 multiple choice questions on pages 17 to 37 and 3 long response questions on pages 38 to 51.
- Brandon Horn's AP Computer Science Exam Review.
|5/8||Get http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20086520/AP%20Comp%20Sci/TicTacToe.java to run.|
|5/7||AP Computer Science Test!|
|4/22||REVIEW BEGINS (Gridworld problem sets.)|
|4/9||Test Chapter 13 and Gridworld Sections 1-3 (Outline for Chapter 13 + Gridworld 1-3 Review)|
|3/20-3/26||Complete section 3 of the Gridworld Student Manual.|
|3/11-3/15||Complete sections 1 and 2 of the Gridworld Student Manual.|
Get Gridworld running in DrJava.
Instructions for downloading Gridworld into DrJava: http://drjava.sourceforge.net/apmbs.shtml
Use Download Option 1: Source Split Into Individual Chapters
When you have downloaded and unzipped, be sure to use PROJECT/Open to select firstProject.xml
Read the student manual and complete the "Do You Know" Set 1.
Gridworld Student Manual
Source for the classes is in GridWorldCode_DrJava/framework/info/gridworld.
Class documentation is at: GridWorldCode_DrJava/javadoc/allclasses-frame.html, or on the web
|2/27||Outline for Chapter 12 Review|
|2/15||CodingBat 2 Dimensional Array Problems|
|2/13|| [Practice-It] Ch. 10|
Self-Check and 10.2-10.7
Textbook ArrayList reference pg. 331
|1/30||Outline for Chapter 11 Review|
|1/29||Chapter 11 Vocabulary worksheet|
|1/25||Holodeck Design Project Choosing between extends and implements.|
|1/22||Old MacDonald Had A Farm. Class hierarchies.|
|1/25||Holodeck Design Project Choosing between extends and implements.|
|1/12||Mr. Data Hardware, software, number representation and dimensional analysis.|
|11/5||Math Field Day: all day field trip to BU! Agenda|
|11/1||Fractals! We use our complex number class.|
|10/30|| Field Trip Cancelled by BU!!!!! Wah!|
Kobayashi Maru Introduction to CodingBat Java (formerly called Javabat.)
|10/29||School closed for storm.|
|10/26||No Tribble At All We implement complex numbers.|
|10/25||Entering Starfleet Academy Recursion.|
|10/24||Test To Graduate From Rivendell|
|10/22||Choose Between Good And Evil Using if and else.|
|10/18-19||Forging The Rings! Introduction to constructors.|
|10/17||Test On Objects, Public and Private and Ch. 5|
|10/16||Review Of Objects, Public and Private and Ch. 5|
|10/15||Syntax of if, else, while, for and Review of Ch. 5. Homework|
|10/10||GRASPing The Obvious Introduction to jGRASP environment, debugging.|
|10/1-10/9||Creating Uruk Hais Introduction to objects, public and private.|
|9/28||Test On Variables, Arguments, and Returns|
|9/27||Review Of Variables, Arguments, and Returns|
|9/25-26||Bargains With Evil: Methods with arguments and returns.|
|9/24||Huben Sick Day 9/24|
|9/21||The Knowledge Of Sauron's Minions: Introduction to variables and types. Math.java|
|9/20||Test On Demonology Beginnings|
|9/19||Review Of Demonology Beginnings|
|9/18||The Demons Command Each Other: Calling static void methods without arguments, public and private, multiple classes.|
|9/13||Commanding The Demons: Introduction to methods.|
|9/12||Fear Not Demon Curses: Introduction to error messages.|
|9/11||Muggle Studies, slides 2.1-2.10|
|9/10||Hogwarts School Of Computer Science: Introduction to parentheses and blocks.|
Homework Assignments And Tests
|5/2||GridTools free response practice question for GridWorld|
|5/1||Long Answer problem 3 starting on page 46 of AP Computer Science A Course Description.|
|4/30||Recursive base conversion free response practice question|
|4/29|| Review recursion in Entering_Starfleet_Academy , your notes and AP CS Test 12/14/12.|
Long Answer problems 1 and 2 starting on page 38 of AP Computer Science A Course Description.
|4/25||GiraffeCritter free response practice question for GridWorld|
|4/24||Aquarium free response practice question for ArrayLists|
|4/23|| Homework: Free Response Question Example|
Interface List<E> is implemented in ArrayList to provide get(), set(), add() and remove(). Pg. 472 of the textbook. You don't need to know about iterators.
|3/5||Homework: Read 13.5-13.6, Ex 5, 6, 13, 14.|
|3/4||Homework: Read 13.1-13.3, Ex 1-3.|
|2/28||Chapter 12 Test|
|2/25|| Assignments during break:|
Table Of Comparisons Between String, Array And ArrayList
Practice-It Ch. 10: Self-Check and 10.2-10.7
CodingBat 2 Dimensional Array Problems
Questions about the assignments here!
|2/8||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, P. 354 Ex 16-17, Read 12.12.|
|2/7||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, P. 354 Ex 6-9, 11-13, Read 12.7-12.8, 12.10.|
|2/6||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, P. 354 Ex 1-5, Read 12.1-12.6.|
|1/31||Chapter 11 Test|
|1/28||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, P. 317 Ex 1-5.|
|1/25||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, Read and take notes on Chapters 11.4-11.7.|
|1/22||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, Read and take notes on Chapters 11.1-11.3.|
|1/15||Chapter 1 Test|
|1/14||Chapter 1 Review|
|1/11||Two's Compliment worksheet.|
|1/9||Dimensional Analysis worksheet.|
|1/8||Book Of 20th Century Computer Technology, Read and take notes on all of Chapter 1|
|10/29|| Bring back the permission slip for the Math Field Day!|
Read the handout on complex orbits.
Be caught up on recursion and complex numbers.
|10/23||Book Of The Humans, Read 7.1-7.6, p. 188, ex: 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12.|
|10/22||Building Triangles Programming Task.|
|10/15||Read Ch. 5. Answer all the exercises. The code needed is in the studentdisk you downloaded.|
|10/3||Read: Read: Textbook 9.2, 9.11.|
|10/2|| Read: Dr. Java manual, Chapter 3. Editing Programs. Try out the features.|
Read: Textbook 9.1.
|9/24||Read Muggle textbook Ch. 6.1, 6.3-6.5. Note what you understand, and what you do not understand.|
|9/19||Muggle textbook, page 183, method rollDice. What is happening on each line? Are there calls to methods? Arguments? Results? Classes? Objects?|
|9/17||Read Muggle textbook Ch. 9.5.|
|9/13||Muggle exercises Ch.2, ex. 9.|
|9/12||Muggle exercises Ch.2, ex. 1-5.|
|9/11||Read Muggle textbook Ch. 2.1-2.2.|
TECH APPRENTICE – Technology Internships Program 2013
Do you have any technology skills? Do you work very well with a Mac or a PC? Would you like to get paid for your tech skills? If you answered yes to all these questions, you are in luck! The Tech-Apprentice PAID Summer Internships are now accepting applications. If you are interested you must do the following things:
- Make sure you have completed all PIC office job Requirements.
- Send Ms. Delorme an email at email@example.com telling me you would like to apply to these internships.
- Fill out the application at this link: Here is the Tech Apprentice link for 2013 program.
- The Big List of Problems encountered when starting coding with DrJava
- CodingBat Java (formerly called Javabat.)
- What You Should Know By Now
- Java Notes: Table of Contents Faster and Easier than Googling!
- DrJava User Documentation: I especially recommend Chapter 3. Editing Programs.
- Java Doc Fast
- Java SE 6 Documentation
- Java2s Java Tutorial -- a very well-indexed reference.
AP Exam Information
- 2012 Free-Response Questions
- The AP Computer Science A Exam (old exams here.)
- AP Computer Science A Course Description: see pages 8+9
- AP Computer Science A Course Home Page
- AP Computer Science AB has been discontinued by CollegeBoard.
- There is a Wikipedia Advanced Placement Computer Science page.
- Practice AP Exam
- Dropbox to me: \\bls-fp\huben\Drop Off (Make a shortcut to this on your H drive.)
- Dropbox from me: \\bls-fp\huben\Pickup (Make a shortcut to this on your H drive.)
- A Grandchild's Guide to Using Grandpa's Computer
- BPS AP Teachers Wiki
- Classroom Hints And Notes
AP Computer Science 2011-12
This page was rebooted for 2012-13. Last year's page is: AP Computer Science 2011-12
- Textbook chapter on UI components
- AP Exam Website (ICE @ Georgia Tech)
- Greenlee Gridworld Exercises
- GridWorld Case Study Student Manual
- Gridworld Installation Guide
- Download GridWorldCode.zip
- MedianTest.java use the "View Source" button.
- Array Review
- Letter Count Solution
- Getting Stuck
- Fractions Example
- Fractions Questions
- Appendix B: Common Syntax Error Messages
- Hangman rubric
I do not have formal Massachusetts certification to teach Computer Science (I am certified in Math 9-12, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.) That can be fixed. However, I've been programming since I was 17, roughly 40 years. My first career (as a programmer) lasted for roughly 25 years. I wrote my first networked computer game in 1975 (on the educational PLATO system.) I was an early enthusiast of Object Oriented Languages, starting with Smalltalk-80 (I devoured the Byte Smalltalk issue and bought the Blue Book the instant it was available.) I was an early adopter of structured programming, UNIX, C, object oriented programming, C++, the internet, the web, HTML, etc.
I've learned or used at least 30 computer languages including:
- assembly languages
- UNIX tool languages