Modified from: The Lazy Cook's Black Beans Recipe.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 onion, peeled and halved, with base still holding it together
- a juicing orange, rinsed and sliced in half
Place beans in a large pot and add water until beans are submerged by 3 to 4 inches. Add the garlic and onion, squeeze in orange juice, then add the squeezed orange halves. Cover and place over high heat until water comes to a boil, then uncover pot and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook until beans are completely tender and creamy, 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding water if tops of beans become exposed.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt (more or less)
Remove orange and onion halves. Increase heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, until reduced to a thick, creamy sauce that clings to the beans, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and cumin. Serve over rice or as a side with fresh cilantro and a dash or two of hot sauce (Sri Racha!), and accompany with fried sweet plantains.
- 1/3 cup white or cider vinegar
- juice from another orange
- sour cream on side