Simmer in a pot of water:
- 16 oz firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
for 3 minutes. Set aside.
Toast (1-2 minutes) and grind:
- 1 tbs Szechuan peppercorns
- 5 tbs peanut oil
- 1/4 lb ground beef
until well done, about 4 minutes, when the oil is clear again.
- 3 tbs chili bean paste
Fry at medium heat for about 2 minutes until the oil is red.
- 2 tbs black bean sauce
- 2 tbs garlic paste
- 2 inches of ginger minced finely
- 1 tsp chili flakes (I omit this so that it will not be too spicy)
and fry about 1 minute, mixing well until a paste.
- 1 cup stock (or a bit more) or water
and the drained tofu from above, then simmer for about 7 minutes. Do not reduce too much. Move the tofu around to prevent sticking.
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs cooking sherry or chinese wine
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch mixed in 2 tbs water
and the Szechuan peppercorns from above. Allow to thicken.
- 2 chopped scallions
and heat for 30 seconds more. Then serve!