I seldom listen to music: generally it is imposed on me by others. But sometimes I browse some on YouTube, and I do have some childhood favorites from when I listened to records while home sick.
Ode to Joy
I don't know why I love this one so much: it is metronomic, and I can't understand the original lyrics in German. Perhaps just as well: the lyrics are elliptical, allegorical, romantic, metaphorical, and not nearly sensible enough to satisfy me. But the triumphant harmonies, changes in pace and variability of the music meets some aesthetic of mine and leave me thrilled. And I'm not alone. :-)
Lately I've noticed a large number of riffs on this music. Here are a few that I love.
- Ode to Joy with lyrics in German and English
- An original long version in German.
- Ode To Joy | Muppet Music Video | The Muppets
- I've always had a fondness for the Muppets.
- Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) European Anthem - 'Beethoven's 9th Symphony'
- He accidentally loses the lyrics and has to ad lib.
- Beethoven Chased by Rossini · Garrison Keillor and Frederica Von Stade
- Beethoven's Ode to Joy brilliantly layered on top of Rossini's William Tell Overture; the story of an old cat disturbed by a dog. From Songs of the Cat.
- Pete Seeger: Ode to Joy
- Banjo solo with his own few lyrics. Much better than the original lyrics.
Build the road of peace before us, build it wide and deep and long. Speed the slow, remind the eager, help the weak, and guide the strong. None shall push aside another, none shall let another fall. Work beside me sisters and brothers, all for one and one for all.
- Flashmob Flash Mob - Ode an die Freude ( Ode to Joy ) Beethoven Symphony No.9 classical music
- Unbelievably beautiful. Including the audience reaction.
- La Marseillaise, sung by Mireille Mathieu. American English subtitles.
- The French national anthem; very stirring and a bit bloodthirsty.
The closest I have to ancestral music: my father was Austrian. Though he was raised in Vienna and only spent summers in the countryside.
- Franzl Lang - Happy Yodeling (25mins long mix)
- Give it a try. Some of the most amazing yodeling ever.
Gilbert and Sullivan
- I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General
- From The Pirates of Penzance".
- I'm the Monarch of the Sea
- When I Was a Lad
- From HMS Pinafore.
- A More Humane Mikado Never in Japan Exist (My Object All Sublime.)
- From The Mikado.
- Nightmare Song
- From Iolanthe.